Mood Board Masterclass with Joanna Wood
We were delighted to be joined by one of Britain’s leading figures in the world of international design, Joanna Wood, as part of Access All Areas at Focus ’22, Design Centre Chelsea Harbour. Speaking to a designer audience in Jacaranda’s Chelsea Harbour Showroom, alongside interior style hunter, Grant Pierrus, Joanna shared her secrets behind the perfect mood board.
With three inspiring mood boards based on real life projects Joanna shared her tips. Crucially she began with the TWO MOST important factors to pulling together any scheme:
- THE CLIENT – Understanding your client is key, they need to feel that they are being listened to and understood. A huge amount can be learnt from conversations around their likes and dislikes, their expectations, even the way they dress can be a source of inspiration.
- SUITABILITY – Always keep practicality in mind, there is little point in specifying beautiful silk fabric for a child’s playroom.
Joanna’s Top Tips
- Identify key pieces of furniture with your client, then build the mood boards around these
- Go old school, big pin boards play an important part in engaging your client with the design scheme and encouraging conversation
- The key to pattern and layering, is scale, reflect this in your mood board as it helps the client to understand that busy patterns don’t need to be overwhelming
- Mix up different fabrics and use them in innovative ways, introduce trims and borders to rugs and fabrics and be clever about how you can flip around paired colours in different ways
- Allocate budget into small areas where it will really zing. Use lower cost materials for backing fabrics and more recessive areas
- Choose your carpet or rugs last – once the colour scheme has been agreed, you’re in a stronger position to be able to select the carpet or rug that best fits the scheme
Joanna concluded with her astonishment that she was able to source all items for the mood boards from the papers, fabrics, trims and of course carpet and rugs from the Jacaranda, Anna French and Thibaut collections on Display in our Chelsea Harbour Showroom.
Visit our showroom at the Design Centre Chelsea Harbour, 2nd Floor, South Dome, where our Showroom Manager Dorota will be happy to help you pull together samples for your upcoming projects.Back