The GoodWeave label sets the standard
Jacaranda is proud to be a longstanding partner of the charity GoodWeave, whose mission is to eradicate child labour in global supply chains. Founded in 1994, by Indian activist Kailash Satyarthi, who was recognised for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 for his commitment and drive to ensure all children are allowed a childhood.
This summer Sonny Puryear, GoodWeave’s Director of Business Engagement & Marketing, came to the UK. We were pleased to welcome him to our showroom at the Design Centre Chelsea Harbour, where our team gathered to listen to Sonny’s presentation.
To hear first-hand about how GoodWeave work closely with supply chains to ensure better working practices for all was really illuminating.
What the GoodWeave label means:
- A GoodWeave label on a Jacaranda rug provides the best assurance that the product is free of child, forced or bonded labour.
- GoodWeave’s independent inspectors have visited the factory where this product was made. All inspections take place unannounced, and all records of employment are checked and all staff are interviewed.
- The purchase of Jacaranda’s GoodWeave labelled products supports programmes that educate children and improve working conditions for adults in rug producing communities.
- GoodWeave brings visibility to global supply chains, protects informal and marginalised workers.
- With Jacaranda’s help, GoodWeave supports 75 educational and social programme facilities in Northern India of which six directly benefit Jacaranda’s supply chain.
The key to the continuing success of GoodWeave is their ability to work closely with the licence holders and this close collaboration means they adhere to the mandatory rules in place, as well as work towards other recommendations.
GoodWeave’s proven approach ensures to not only highlight issues, but to find solutions to them. This joined up method where remediation is offered is what makes the difference and enables positive change. By monitoring and evaluating, short-term and long-term outcomes are actioned.
Jacaranda believes in transparency in all that we do, and actively being part of the partnership programme with GoodWeave ensures our products are ethically produced.
For any rugs handmade in India, please look out for the GoodWeave label, for the reassurance that GoodWeave’s ethical working practices are being upheld.Back